Strawberry Pretzel Pie
Kudos to Kristina G. Harris, from Raleigh, NC, who won second place in the 2013 Strawberry Dessert contest presented by the North Carolina Strawberry Association. Southerners love an ice box pie and this one ticks all the boxes.
If you visit the Carolinas in the spring, check out the Strawberry Association website for farm locations. Taking a child on a u-pick outing is a wonderful experience – if any of the luscious fruit makes it home!
2 cups finely crushed pretzel sticks
¾ cup butter, melted
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 Tablespoons plus 1 tsp. strawberry gelatin (1/2 (3 oz) package)
2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
1/3 cup granulated sugar
PREPARATION & METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together first 3 ingredients, firmly press on bottom, up sides, and onto lip of lightly greased 10-inch pie plate. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
2. Process strawberries in a food processor until finely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
3. Beat condensed milk, cream cheese, and gelatin at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add strawberries, beat at low speed just until blended.
4. Beat ¾ cup whipping cream at high speed until soft peak forms; gently fold whipped cream into strawberry mixture. Spoon into prepared crust. Cover and freeze 8 to 12 hours or until firm.
5. Beat remaining 1¼ cups whipping cream at high speed until foamy; gradually add granulated sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Freeze 1 hour or until whipped cream is firm.
Southern Living Magazine
Share this article: