ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SOUP with CURRIED APPLES and FRITTERS
1 oz. butter or olive oil
1/4 c. diced celery
1/2 c. diced onions
1 lb. coarsely chopped cauliflower, roasted with olive oil in a 400 degree oven until soft and lightly caramelized
½ lb. diced potatoes
1 ½ quarts chicken stock
½ T. kosher salt
1 oz. lemon juice
½ t. freshly cracked black pepper
1 pint heavy cream- hot
2 t. cumin
2 t. coriander
2 t. cardamom
1/2 t. dry mustard
2 t. turmeric
1/4 t. cayenne
1/4 t. cinnamon
½ cup golden raisins
½ cup white wine
1 cup diced crisp apple (jonagold or gala, preferably)
1 T. red onion, small diced
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
Herbed Apple Fritters:
1/2 c. water
3 T. melted butter
2 c. flour
½ T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 T. chopped rosemary
1 T. chopped thyme
1 apple, peeled and small diced
Vegetable oil for frying
PREPARATION & METHOD
1. Sweat celery and onions in butter until soft but not brown.
2. Add cauliflower, potatoes, stock, salt, lemon juice, and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer until all vegetables are very soft.
3. Puree in blender in batches and put back on heat. Do not strain.
4. Add hot cream and bring to a simmer. DO NOT BOIL. Keep hot in bain marie or double boiler.
1. Bring white wine to a boil. Pour over raisins and let sit for ½ hour. Sweat onion in olive oil. Add apples and cook for 2 min then add raisins with half of the wine.
2. Combine all ingredients and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Herbed Apple Fritters:
1. Combine melted butter, room temperature eggs and water.
2. Combine dry ingredients. Whisk wet and dry ingredients together. Stir in apples and herbs.
3. Using a 1 oz. ice cream scoop, scoop batter into 375 degree frying oil and fry until golden brown.
4. Top each bowl of soup with 1 T. curried apples and one apple fritter. Enjoy!
Recipe: Executive Chef John Fleer, Canyon Kitchen
Chef John Fleer spent 14 years as executive chef at world-famous Blackberry Farm in Walland, Tennessee, but somehow, we’ve lured him back to the Carolinas, where he creates fantastic recipes like Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Curried Apples and Fritters. Find him at Canyon Kitchen, located inside Jennings Barn at Lonesome Valley, a lovely master-planned community near Cashiers, NC
Share this article: